I've always wondered where and how to cook Ho Fan or Ho Fan noodles. Ho Fan has a fettuccine- like noodles. Texture is similar to vermicelli. It is white, others are transparent. In restaurants, usually Cantonese, it is often served in a platter drizzled with sesame oil, roasted sesame seeds mixed with in a secret sauce. In the condo where we used to live, our neighbor gave us Ho Fan as a welcome present. Our neighbor told us that her son cooked it and it's like pancit mixed with a different kind of sauce. I take that the sauce is the secret behind the delicious dish she gave us.
So I tried cooking my own stir- fried ho fan. I created my own sauce and a set of dry ingredients that I thought will fit perfectly. Actually, I based this recipe on the Ho Fan our neighbor prepared for us.
Please take note that I will only share the basic on preparing the sauce. Finally, I was able to concoct my own and of course it will always be my key ingredient.
- 300g Ho Fan Noodles (soaked in hot water, drained)
- 2 chicken breast fillet (chopped)
- 10 pcs. Squid Balls (chopped)
- 4 tbsp. Oyster Sauce
- 1 tsp. chili
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. cooking oil
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 2 tbsp. chopped spring onions
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts (I prefer short sprouts)
- 1 small carrot (chopped into thin strips)
- 1 small Pechay Baguio ( chopped into thin strips) *or any green vegetable of your choice
- 1/2 cup roasted nuts (optional)
*Other add-ons: Tofu, Shitake, beef, pork, tuna, shrimps or mixed seafood and bell pepper.
- In a sauce pan, saute garlic and onion for a few seconds.
- Add chicken and squid balls and stir until chicken is cooked.
- Add carrots, mung bean sprouts and nuts. Stir until vegetables are half-cooked.
- Add Oyster Sauce and chili. Mix everything well.
- Add green vegetable strips, spring onions and sesame oil.
- Mix everything evenly.
- Add soaked Ho Fan noodles and mix evenly.
* To soften the Ho Fan Noodles soak it in hot water, drain, then mix it immediately with the prepared sauce..