Paksiw: Vinegar sauce.
Food cooked in vinegar sauce is very common here in the Philippines. Most of the time, we use seafood such as fish. One of the main purposes of vinegar sauce is to eliminate the fishy smell. Vinegar sauce is composed of vinegar, pepper, ginger and garlic. With the viand I am sharing today, I used shrimps, I simmered it in vinegar sauce then I added coconut cream to balance the vinegar flavor and to make the sauce richer.
- 10-15 pcs of shrimps (head removed, shell intact).
- 1/2 cup cane vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup Coconut Cream
- 1/2 tsp chopped ginger
- 5 cloves crushed garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- a dash of salt
- 1 stalk celery with leaves (washed well, chopped) optional
- 1 medium eggplant (chopped into thin rings) optional
- In a pan arrange prepared shrmps.
- Add vinegar, water. chopped ginger, crushed garlic, ground pepper and salt
- Simmer until shrimps are half- cooked.
- Add eggplants, then simmer until eggplants are half- cooked.
- ( Add water if necessary )
- Add coconut milk and simmer for a few seconds.
- Add chopped celery.
Best served with hot rice and a little soy sauce.