Kangkong also known as swamp cabbage is a green leafy vegetable that grows in water or in any moist soil.
Crispy Kangkong is one of our favorite Filipino appetizers. It is healthy and it's easy to prepare. In choosing Kangkong, make sure that the bunch you're purchasing are the native ones with large Kangkong leaves. As for my choice of Kangkong, I added some small Kangkong stems to give it a little more crunch.
- 1 bunch or 1 tali of Kangkong leaves removed and washed well then dry.
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup corn starch
- cooking oil for deep frying
- salt and pepper
- In a bowl, prepare batter by mixing the following: cornstarch, flour, salt and pepper, cold water then beaten egg.
- Mix batter until smooth.
- In a sauce pan, heat oil for frying.
- When oil is all hot, dip each Kangkong leaf in batter then deep fry for 20-30 seconds until cooked.
- Set aside in a serving plate.
* never overcrowd a pan especially when deep frying for easy cooking.
Tartar Sauce Recipe:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp pickle relish
- 1/2 tsp minced onion or garlic
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- salt to taste
Sweet Chili Sauce