Beef Sukiyaki, Beef Gyudon they're almost the same. It's the sauce that makes these two dishes different from each other.
The key ingredient to a delicious Beef Sukiyaki meal is the Sukiyaki Sauce. Sukiyaki Sauce is a mixture of soy sauce, sugar, sake, mirin and broth.
Beef Sukiyaki is a one-pot , hot pot dish, which is compose of slices of beef, cuts of tofu, Shiitake mushrooms, any leafy vegetables, scallions, traditionally served with wheat noodles and Sukiyaki sauce. In restaurants, they have an iron pot waiting at the center of your table. Then, slowly cook the beef together with the rest of the ingredients. The ingredients are dipped in beaten eggs before being eaten. Others, mix the Sukiyaki sauce with beaten eggs. Some, like the ingredients simmered in Sukiyaki Sauce before they dip it in egg.
My Beef Sukiyaki was served like any rice bowl. A bowl of white rice was prepared, then I topped it with the ingredients (as seen in the picture above), then I poured a cup of beef broth and Sukiyaki Sauce mixture.
Planning to add Beef Sukiyaki in your home-cooked list? Here are the ingredients:Servings: 2-3
- Cooked white rice or noodles
- 2 tbsp Sesame oil
- 1/2 kg beef cubes or beef strips
- 100g tofu sliced
- 100g mung bean sprouts
- 100g asparagus (chopped)
- 40g Shiitake Mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 white onion (chopped)
- 2 stems of Scallions (chopped)
- 1/2 cup of chopped celery
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- 6 tbsp Japanese soy sauce
- 5 tbsp mirin
- 5 tbsp sake
- 4tbsp sugar
- Prepare a cup of rice in a bowl.
- Top the rice bowl with each ingredient.
- In a saucer mix 1 cup of "hot" beef broth and 1/2cup Sukiyaki Sauce. Pour over the prepared rice bowl.